Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Home Staging in the office

I haven't done a formal living room in ages. Homeowners have realized that a formal living room is wasted square footage. Like dining rooms, if the space is used only a couple of times a year, most of us can make better use of that space. My home office was my dining room and one day I realized that the dining room I had always wanted was used as a buffet line once or twice a year. The table only sat 6 and if we entertained, there was always more to sit than that. I did decide to use the dining room table as my desk. I turned the table to face the hallway and stored all of the dining room chairs. I moved my hutch into the kitchen an acquired more space and storage for the stuff I use in the kitchen. I had a old upper cabinet that was distressed and painted white that looks great in the office and holds a ton of stuff. Rheams of paper, fabrics, files, books,etc;
I placed a wire rack on wheels that I found at Costco to hold my fabric and trim books. A comfy chair, bookcase and personal artwork and the room was complete.
Think outside of your box. If the kids need a quiet space away from the family to get homework done, but like to be within hearing distance, create a space for them. A comfortable chair, end table and lamp with a couple of bookcases creates a library feel to the room. Think of a different flooring for this room and this helps create an ambiance. I removed the carpet and installed a flexible, fiber floor that imitates a chocolate colored bamboo. Awesome texture and the room is more functional for cleanup and for all the abuse I throw at it
Remember that this is one of the first rooms your guest see and there should be enough storage to hide most of the everyday stuff that you throw at it. The chocolate that was used in the family room is now the secondary color in the office. To soften the space I used Ben Moore's Smoke on the walls. The wonderful thing about this color is with my front porch shading this room in the afternoon, the color starts out baby blue and changes to soft green and finally a dove gray in the evening.
THREE COLORS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!!! How awesome is that. Make this room yours and you won't mind coming to work in your jammies every morning.

No comments: