Thursday, January 31, 2008

Change, for good or bad!

Decorating is a dangerous thing- You start with one room and the next thing you know, you're ripping out the walls and tearing up floors.
When I moved into our home, 7 years ago, I started at the front door and over the next 5 years redid the whole house. No room was left untouched. Even the closets were organized and made to give me the best use of space. Now that we have lived here and my taste have changed (AGAIN) I started back at the front door for the next round. I wanted a updated look that was bright and dramatic that made people want to sit down and enjoy my home.
I started my own business 2 years ago and decided that my dining room was a waste of space. I stripped the wallpaper, pulled out the carpet and turned around my table to make it a desk. I found some great industrial shelving, a hutch/lateral file and a comfy chair. My home office was born!!! Very little money but a huge improvement for my business. Everything in one place and easily accessible. I needed alot of storage for the 300 fabric books, reference books, catalogs, flooring samples, blind books,etc; The large industrial rolling shelf that everyone is using in kitchen spaces looked great in my space and held all of my sample books. The lateral file holds all of my client info and the hutch is for pretty stuff. My office faces the front porch where I have 2 windows that lets in lots of sun and I get to watch the birds on the front porch. I didn't want to cover the windows up so I installed bamboo shades and the texture looks great. The walls went from a red,navy and cream wallpaper to robin's egg blue. With all the brown furniture and a faux bamboo fiber floor, the room is cozy and inviting. Maybe the next thing to be added will be french doors.
Don't be intimidated by change, it all works out in the end. Even if it takes every 7 years to come back around.
Happy decorating!!!

No comments: